Pearl Hogrefe Fellowship Application Instructions
Instructions on applying for the Pearl Hogrefe Fellowship in Creative Writing.
Application Deadline: January 5
- Applicants must qualify for full, unrestricted admission to the Iowa State University Graduate College.
- Students currently enrolled for graduate study in the M.F.A. program in Creative Writing and Environment at Iowa State University are ineligible.
- Previous recipients of the Hogrefe Fellowship are ineligible.
1. Required electronically by the Office of Admissions, 100 Enrollment Services Center, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011-2011 USA:
- Graduate application and fee payment at http://www.admissions.iastate.edu/apply/
- Official GRE General Test scores (no Subject Test scores required) reported directly to ISU by ETS. Official scores are available for five testing years following the year
in which applicant tested. You may register to take the exam at www.ets.org
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score report sent by testing services. Required of all applicants who must submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to ISU (refer to “How To Apply” document available at http://www.admissions.iastate.edu/apply/)
2. Required by mail to the Office of Admissions, 100 Enrollment Services Center, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011-2011 USA:
- Official academic transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work
- Financial statement (international applicants only) and all supporting documents
3. If applying to a graduate program in the English Department, the following is required by the English Department, Graduate Studies Program, 203 Ross Hall, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa 50011-1201 USA. Please refer to English Department Graduate Admissions Application Requirements for more details about the requirements below.
(If you are not applying to a graduate program in the English Department, you must contact the appropriate major program/department at ISU for information on its admission procedures and requirements. You must also submit by mail to the English Department the items in #4 below.)
- Second set of official academic transcripts or unofficial photocopies of academic transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate work
- Copy of GRE General Test scores
- Copy of TOEFL or IELTS examinee score report (required of all applicants who must submit TOEFL or IELTS scores to ISU)
English Department required minimum scores (these differ from ISU Graduate College required minimum scores)
M.A. and M.F.A.: 100 IBT; 600 PBT; 7.0 IELTS
Ph.D.: 111 IBT; 640 PBT; 7.5 IELTS
- Audio or video file demonstrating competence in spoken English (required of all nonnative speaking applicants) sent via email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Curriculum vitae including educational background, awards, accomplishments, and teaching/tutoring experience (if applying to the MFA program please submit an electronic copy via email to email@example.com).
- Cover letter stating your interest in the Hogrefe Fellowship and explaining what you want to achieve in your work as a Hogrefe Fellow (1-3 pages). Include a statement of personal goals (this can be the same text as the Personal Statement requested on the electronic admissions application form) and information about your preparation for graduate study, including reasons and objectives for study in the chosen graduate program (if applying to the MFA program please submit an electronic copy via email to firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Three letters of recommendation from persons qualified to comment on your preparation for graduate study in the major to which you are applying.
- Writing sample(s) required from all applicants according to these program level specifications (only one hard copy is necessary)
M.A.: Expository writing sample (5-10 pages) which demonstrates your critical and research skills. Applicants typically submit an essay they produced for undergraduate or graduate courses in English.
M.F.A.: (The following writing samples must only be submitted electronically via email to email@example.com. 1) Creative writing sample of no more than 25 pages (prose) or 15 pages (poetry) demonstrating exemplary ability in one genre, although once admitted, students will not be restricted to working in one genre. 2) Expository prose writing sample (5-10 pages) displaying a command of accepted grammatical rules for written English (such as a scholarly research essay for an undergraduate or graduate course in English demonstrating critical and research skills).
Ph.D.: Writing sample demonstrating your critical and research skills with cover sheet contextualizing the document. You may include two documents totaling 35 pages with at least one document demonstrating critical and research skills.
4. If applying to a graduate program at ISU outside the English Department, the following is required to be submitted electronically via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cover letter stating your interest in the Hogrefe Fellowship and explaining what you want to achieve in your work as a Hogrefe Fellow.
- Hogrefe Fellowship Application Form attached to your cover letter.
- Portfolio that displays the best of your imaginative writing (25 pages maximum).
- Three letters of recommendation if not applying to graduate programs in the English Department (electronic submission via Office of Admissions online application system is preferred).