NEW TA Q&A

CATEGORIES: Foundation Courses

Geneva Toland, MFA, CWE & Wren Bouwman, PhD, ALT

Geneva Toland
Wren Bouwman

1. What do you wish your students knew about you?

Wren: I actually really love when they ask me questions about Iowa State or for help navigating student life.

Geneva: I am trained as an outdoor, nature-based educator so I am always looking for ways to incorporate nature and the environment into my teaching.

1. What one word would your students use to describe you?

Wren: Quirky

Geneva: Kind

1. What’s something your students have taught you this semester?

Wren: I haven’t taught this semester yet, so I don’t have an answer. But every semester I learn my slang is more and more out of date.

Geneva: This is my first semester teaching an ISUComm Foundation course, so I’m excited to see what I learn from my students!

1. What one teaching tool will we always find you with?

Wren: Gifs! I find pop culture references are easy ways to make concepts memorable.

Geneva: Class lists! I always want to make sure I know my students’ names.

1. If you could share one sentence of advice with newer teachers, what would it be?

Wren: Your mistakes aren’t obvious to your students – they need you to be engaged, not perfect.

Geneva: Sometimes just caring about students and being interested and invested in them as a person is the most important part of teaching.

1. What’s something you are passionate about (outside of ISUCOMM)?

Wren: I really love musical theatre.

Geneva: I love growing food, and work at a local farm here in Ames called Mustard Seed Community Farm.

1. What has been your favorite assignment to teach in ENGL 150 or 250/what are you excited to teach in ENGL 150 or 250?

Wren: I haven’t taught yet, but I’m excited to see what students come up with for the Multimodal Design Remix in 150.

Geneva: I’m excited to teach the Personal Narrative unit. I think writing about yourself is probably one of the hardest things to do in writing, but also one of the most potentially transformative.

1. What is your most frequently used emoji?

Wren: 😅

Geneva: The one with the big eyes for when something is so cute you just can’t handle it! (for all the animal videos I find on social media)

1. If you had your own late-night talk show, who would you invite as your first guest?

Wren: Rachel Maksy (Vintage/Cosplay YouTuber)

1. If you had to sing karaoke, what song would you pick?

Wren: “Cabaret” (from the musical Cabaret)!

Geneva: I think about this question all the time! Right now, I would say a 90s throwback like 3AM by Matchbox Twenty and What’s Up by 4 Non Blondes.