Hello Summer 2020 ISU Students!
The Writing and Media Center (https://www.wmc.dso.iastate.edu/) invites you to a brand new event designed to help you get more out of your time! Our first ever Online Writing Bootcamp allows you to join fellow ISU students in a day-long online writing group that will provide you with the opportunity to write, advice for success, and accountability so you can reach your writing goals. This Online Writing Bootcamp is available for all students (both undergraduate and graduate students). Our previous writing events have been extremely popular and effective – according to student responses – so come join us in this new online format and be productive from the comfort of your own space!
Please click here (or copy the URL below into your browser) to register for this event!
Previous attendees of our writing events have worked on:
- Honors Capstones
- Class Papers
- Job Applications
- Graduate School Applications
- Personal Statements
- Anything else they wanted!
Date: Thursday July 2, 2020
Time: 9am-3pm (you may come and go as you please)
Place: Online via Webex
Registration Link: https://forms.gle/BLRmbYhRtT7TjpWQ6
Deadline to Register: June 30, 2020 11:59PM
The event is free for all students. The only things you need to bring are a project to work on, a goal (no matter how small or large), and the desire to create a writing community. We will bring advice on setting and adjusting goals, help with the writing process, and a supportive atmosphere so you feel comfortable and empowered.
We will have smaller breakout rooms where there will be goal setting, accountability check-ins, and more; we will also have writing consultants available to help you with any part of your writing process in one-on-one sessions that mirrors our normal services.
- Register for the Bootcamp.
- You will receive a confirmation email with a Webex link closer to the date of the event as well as more information about the procedures for the event.
- Join us a few minutes before 9am via the Webex link.
- Enter the Google Doc we will share with you and record your writing goal for the day.
- Introduce yourself to the group stating your name, major, classification, and project you are working on.
- Write until 9:50am. (Leave your video on, but turn off audio to limit distractions.)
- At 9:50am, we will come back as a group, check in to see how things are going, and create new writing goals for the next hour. During the break:
- Each person will have one-minute to update the group on their progress (both successes and failures–which are important too!
- Ask the group for any suggestions or strategies for success
- Set up an appointment with a consultant if you are interested in that free service
- Take a break, stand up, move around.
- Continue this model throughout the day for every hour.
- At the end of the day, list some bullet points of where you will go from here and where to pick up after you left off.