Transfer Credit Policies

Contact Information

Deanna Stumbo
Department of English


If you have previously taken a 300-level communications course similar to English 302, 309, or 314 at another institution, you will need to get approval to use that course in place of a required 302, 309, or 314 course at Iowa State University. Please note the following:

  • a 100-level or 200-level course that you have taken will not suffice under any circumstances.
  • a transfer request will be reviewed only after you have started attending Iowa State University and after you have completed the class with a grade of “C” or better.

Standards in many advanced communication courses do not meet those expected for Iowa State University’s English 302, 309, and 314. Thus, requests for approval of transfer credit are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Please review the descriptions of 302, 309, and 314 in Iowa State University’s Course Catalog and select the one course (302, 309, or 314) for which you are requesting transfer credit.

For a review, you must provide Deanna Stumbo ( with the following:

  • a Request for Department Review of Transfer Course or Military Credit form filled out with your advisor’s assistance and signature. This form can be found on the Office of the Registrar website.
  • a catalog course description of the course you took
  • a syllabus and course schedule from that class
  • all major assignments composed in class

The Director of Advanced Communication will review the information you provide to determine whether your course can be used in place of a required English 302, 309, or 314 course at Iowa State University.