|Office:||203a Ross |
527 Farm House Ln.
Courses I Teach
English 101: Academic Writing for non-native English Speakers
English 510: Computer Methods
English 519: Language Testing
English 525: Computer-Assisted Language Learning
English 623: Research Methods
Ph.D. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign – Educational Psychology
M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign – Teaching English as a Second Language
Computer-assisted language learning, language testing, teacher training, materials development
About My Teaching
I teach graduate courses on technology in language teaching and research and undergraduate and graduate English as a Second Language courses and I view teaching as a tremendous source of enjoyment. My goals as a teacher are to be a knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and well-prepared facilitator and an approachable and innovative mediator.
Early Achievement in Departmental Leadership Award, Iowa State University, 2021
Excellence in Graduate Mentoring Award, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Iowa State University, 2016
Mid-Career Achievement in Research Award, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Iowa State University, 2012
International Language Testing Association (ILTA) Best Paper Award, for articles published in language testing in the year 2010.
LAS Master Teacher, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Iowa State University, 2006 – 2007.
CALICO Outstanding Article Award, CALICO Journal, 2007, for articles published in 2005 – 2006.
- Healey, D., Hegelheimer, V., Hubbard, P., Ioannou-Georgiou, S., Kessler, G. & Ware, P. (2008). TESOL Technology Standards Framework. Alexandria, VA: TESOL.
Chapters in books
- Hegelheimer, V. & Nguyen, P. (2022). Technology and Assessment. In Nicole Ziegler (ed.), Routledge Handbook of SLA and Technology. (107-118) Routledge
- Nguyen, P. & Hegelheimer, V. (2022). New Technologies in spoken second language assessment. In Ute Knoch, Tobias Haug, Wolfgang Mann. Handbook of Language Assessment across Modalities. London: Oxford University Press
- Heift, T. Nguyen, P. & Hegelheimer, V. (2021). Technology-mediated corrective feedback. In Nassaji, H. & Kartchava, E. The Cambridge Handbook of Corrective Feedback in Language Learning and Teaching. London: Cambridge University Press, https://doi.org/10.1017/9781108589789
- Kochem, T., Muhammad, A. A., Karatay, Y., Jin, H., & Hegelheimer, V. (2020). Considerations for Future Technology Development Based on EFL Teachers' Integration of Technology. In Kruk, M., & Peterson, M. (Eds.), New Technological Applications for Foreign and Second Language Learning and Teaching (pp. 239-260). IGI Global. http://doi:10.4018/978-1-7998-2591-3.ch012
- Hegelheimer, V. & Lee, J. (2013). The role of technology in teaching and researching writing. In M. Thomas, H. Reinders & M. Warschauer (Eds.), Contemporary computer-assisted language learning (pp. 287-302). London & New York: Bloomsbury.
- Suvorov, R. & Hegelheimer, V. (2012). Computer-assisted language testing. In Antony Kunnan (Ed.) Companion to Language Assessment. Wiley-Blackwell
- Raith, T. & Hegelheimer, V. (2010). Teacher development, TBLT, and technology. In Thomas, M., & Reinders, H. (Eds.). Task-Based Language Teaching and Technology. London & New York: Continuum, 154-175.
- Hegelheimer, V. & O’Bryan, A. (2008). Mobile technologies and language education: a look at language learning podcasts. In M. Thomas Handbook of Research on Web 2.0 and Second Language Learning. Information Science Reference: Hershey, New York, 331-349.
- Hegelheimer, Volker (2006): When the technology course is required. In Levy, M. & Hubbard, P. (Eds.) Teacher education in CALL. Philadelphia, PA: John Benjamins, 117-133.
- Hegelheimer, V. & Knierim, M. (2006). Das WWW im Fremdsprachenunterricht. In Jung, U. (Ed). Praktische Handreichung für Fremdsprachenlehrer. 4th ed. München: Fritz Lang, 293-299.
- Chapelle, C. & Hegelheimer, V. (2004). The English language teacher in the 21st century. In S. Fotos & C. Browne (Eds.), New Perspectives in CALL for Second Language Classrooms. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, 299-316.
Papers in refereed journals
- Jin, H., Karatay, Y., Bordbarjavidi, F., Yang, J., Kochem, T., Muhammad, A., & Hegelheimer, V. (2022). Exploring global online course participants’ interactions: Value of high-level engagement. ReCALL, 1-18. doi:10.1017/S0958344021000331
- Karatay, Y. & Hegelheimer, V. (2021). CALL Teacher Training—Considerations for Low-Resource Environments: Overview of CALL Teacher Training. CALICO Journal 38(3), 271-295. DOI: 10.1558/cj.20159
- Silva dos Santos, L., Becker, K., Muhammad, A., Hegelheimer, V., Kochem, T. (2018). Technology integration and pedagogical practice in English language teaching: Lessons learned. The European Journal of Applied Linguistics and TEFL (2018) 2, p. 25-51.
- Li, J., Link, S, & Hegelheimer, V. (2015). Rethinking the Role of Automated Writing Evaluation in ESL Writing Instruction. Journal of Second Language Writing. 27, 1-18
- Li, Z., Hegelheimer, V. (2013) Mobile-assisted grammar exercises: Effects on self-editing in L2 writing. Language Learning & Technology.
- Cutrim-Schmid, E., Hegelheimer, V. (2014). Collaborative research projects in the technology-enhanced language classroom: Pre-service and in-service teachers exchange knowledge about technology. ReCALL.
- Chapelle, C. A., Chung, Y.-R., Hegelheimer, V., Pendar, N., & Xu, J. (2010). Towards a computer-delivered test of productive grammatical ability. Language Testing. Published July 8, 2010 DOI:10.1177/0265532210367633.
- O’Bryan, A. & Hegelheimer, V. (2009). Using a mixed-methods approach to explore strategies, metacognitive awareness, and the effects of task design on listening development. Canadian Journal of Applied Linguistics 12 (1), 1001-1030.
- Douglas, D. & Hegelheimer, V. (2008).Assessing language using computer technology. Annual Review of Applied Linguistics (2007) 27, 115-132.
- O’Bryan, A. & Hegelheimer, V. (2007). Integrating CALL into the classroom: The role of podcasting in an ESL listening strategies course. ReCALL 19 (2), 162-180.
- Grgurovic, M. & Hegelheimer, V. (2007). Help options and multimedia listening: students’ use of subtitles and the transcript. Language Learning & Technology 11(1), 45-66.
- Miller, M. & Hegelheimer, V. (2006).The SIMs Meet ESL: Incorporating authentic computer simulation games into the language classroom. International Journal of Interactive Technology and Smart Education 3(4).
- Hegelheimer, V. (2006). Helping ESL writers through a multimodal, corpus-based, online grammar resource. CALICO Journal 24(1), 5-32.
- Hegelheimer, V. & Fisher, D. (2006). Grammar, writing, and technology: A sample technology-supported approach to teaching grammar and improving writing for ESL learners. CALICO Journal 23(2), 257-279.
- CALICO (member)
- AAAL (member)
Articles and Repositories: Google Scholar