Application Deadline: January 5
• Successful applicants must qualify for full, unrestricted admission to the Iowa State University Graduate College.
• New applicants to the MFA Program in Creative Writing and Environment Program are encouraged to apply for the Pearl Hogrefe Creative Writing Fellowship.
• Students currently admitted to the MFA Program in Creative Writing and Environment at Iowa State University are ineligible to apply.
• Previous recipients of the Hogrefe Fellowship are ineligible to apply.
• The Pearl Hogrefe Fellowship in Creative Writing is awarded for the duration of one 9-month academic year to be used by applicant during his/her first year in the MFA Program.
• Recipients of the Pearl Hogrefe Creative Writing Fellowship are automatically considered for eligibility for teaching assistantships to provide ongoing support beyond the fellowship year while they are completing their second and third years of coursework in the MFA Program in Creative Writing and Environment.
January 5 is the single application deadline for admission consideration for entry the following academic year (beginning fall term).
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO APPLY
Application Requirements and Instructions
All of the following materials are required for your application to be complete and must be uploaded electronically via the Iowa State University Office of Admissions online application system if applying to one of the English Department graduate programs, including the MFA. Applicants to other graduate programs at Iowa State University must email documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are a current graduate student at ISU or have previously graduated from any graduate program at ISU, please contact us at email@example.com for special instructions about fellowship applications since you do not submit an online application or pay the application fee again.
- Hogrefe Fellowship Application Form
- Online Graduate Application
- Scanned Official Transcripts and Degree Statements
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Statement of Purpose & Personal Goals— 2 – 3 double-spaced pages, maximum.
Some Tips for Preparing Your Statement of Purpose:
- Be sure to include information about the creative writing projects you have completed or are currently working on, as well as any publications, honors, or prizes you’ve received for creative work.
- In order to describe how the fellowship suits your interests and creative projects, it’s useful to touch on any of the following experiences/interests in your statement of purpose:
• Fieldwork experiences in natural or urban landscapes that have influenced your practice or aesthetic as a writer;
• Any writers or currents of environmental thought that have influenced your work;
• Issues of place, landscape, the natural world, or environment with which your work engages;
• Any organizations you’ve worked with or activities you’ve completed that are related to ecological or environmental issues;
• Creative projects that you have started or can imagine writing while in the program that have an environmental dimension.
- Writing Samples — Two writing samples are required
1) Creative Writing Sample (this can be the same sample submitted for MFA admission)
Include a sample of no more than 25 pages of prose (double-spaced) or 15 pages of poetry (may use 1.15 spacing) demonstrating exemplary ability in one genre. We ask that you declare a primary genre at time of application, although once admitted, students will not be restricted to working in one genre.
2) Expository Prose Writing Sample (5 – 10 pages, double-spaced and can serve both purposes), also required of any applicants applying to English Department graduate programs)
Your expository writing sample allows you to display your command of scholarly research and accepted grammatical rules for written English. Applicants usually submit a scholarly research essay written for an undergraduate class or a graduate course in English that demonstrates critical and research skills.
Complete Application Guidelines: Please visit the following page for links to relevant application upload websites and for complete application guidelines: How to Apply.